It is part of a teaching professional's skills to understand the needs of a diverse population of students. This course, Accessibility of eLearning, introduces the challenges for disabled students who may use computers in different ways when taking part in eLearning or may need alternative teaching methods. It covers the technology and techniques used by disabled students, the adjustments to teaching methods that might be reasonable, design decisions which affect the accessibility of eLearning tools and strategies for evaluation.
IntroductionAccessibility to eLearning for disabled students is a topic that could be included in any area of the curriculum. Most education professionals are aware that they should consider it but are unsure of what it means, and how to make their eLearning materials accessible to students with a range of disabilities. This free course addresses that need. After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss the main challenges facing disabled students with respect to eLearning.
- Have an understanding of the types of technology used by disabled students.
- Consider what adjustments you might make in creating eLearning materials to ensure they are accessible and usable.
- Consider appropriate ways to evaluate the accessibility and usability of your eLearning materials.
- Introducing accessibility and disability 00:40:00
- Considering disabled people 00:30:00
- The social and medical models of disability 00:30:00
- The ethical and legal imperative for accessibility 00:30:00
- Usability and accessibility 00:30:00
- Special resources or universal design? 00:30:00
- Activity 1: Anticipating needs 00:30:00
- A brief overview of assistive technology 00:30:00
- Communication aids 00:20:00
- Screen readers 00:30:00
- Text to speech 00:30:00
- Keyboard and mouse alternatives 00:30:00
- Free and Open Source (FOSS) Assistive Technologies 00:20:00
- Other assistive technologies 00:20:00
- Creating accessible eLearning content 00:40:00
- Starting with learning outcomes 00:30:00
- Thinking about modes of access 00:30:00
- Accessible text 00:30:00
- Accessible ‘slides’ 00:30:00
- Accessible images 00:40:00
- Accessible audio 00:40:00
- Accessible video 00:30:00
- Quick ways to improve accessibility 00:40:00
- A process for creating accessible materials 00:40:00
- Activity 2: Creating a plan of action 00:20:00
- Conclusion 00:20:00
About the instructor