This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
Do you want to get more out of your reading? This free course, Approaching prose fiction, is designed to develop the analytical skills you need for a more in-depth study of literary texts. You will learn about narrative events and perspectives, the setting of novels, types of characterization and genre.
IntroductionThis course is designed to help you develop the analytical skills needed for studying literary texts at the university level.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize and discuss selected library texts from the Renaissance to the present
- Approach literary texts in terms of genre, gender and the canon
- Engage in close analysis of narrative and poetic language and apply technical analytical terms
- Engage in comparative work, draw general conclusions and use textual evidence to argue a case
- Understand and use academic conventions: referencing and bibliography.
- Why do we read prose fiction? 02:30:00
- The elements of narrative 17:00:00
- Conclusion 00:30:00
About the instructor