This course, Assessment in secondary science, will identify and explore some of the key issues around science assessment practice in secondary schools. Through these issues and debates, you will reflect on and develop your assessment practice as a science teacher and develop a greater awareness of the implications of assessment practice on pedagogy and what is considered to be of scientific value in science education.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Articulate what it means to make progress in science
- Outline the features of formative assessment
- Use a variety of techniques to assess students’ conceptual understanding
- Evaluate the implementation of some formative assessment strategies
- Explain the value of involving students in assessment
About the instructor