This course, Beginners' German: Food and drink, provides materials that support the development of listening, reading, writing and speaking skills. The content focuses on food, restaurants and eating habits. The course also gives examples of how grammar, vocabulary, cultural aspects and study skills are taught by the OU in the Beginners' German module.
IntroductionThis course focuses on expressing your own food and drink preferences and explores meal times and eating habits in German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of types of food and drink. You will also find out how to order and pay for things in cafes and restaurants. Most importantly, you will find out what it’s like to read and listen to German in real contexts, and about developing strategies and studying useful phrases, which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Speak about personal preferences with regard to food and drink
- Order and pay for food and drink in a restaurant
- Use the verbs essen and trinken
- Demonstrate an awareness of different types of snacks, different meal times and different places to eat in German-speaking countries
- Recognise the distinct pronunciation of German native speakers from Austria.
About the instructor