April 8, 2022
This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
Do you want to learn the basics of the German language? This course, Beginners’ German: Places and people, will take you on a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people. This OpenLearn course will give you the opportunity to develop language skills which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
IntroductionThis course focuses on planning and preparing for a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people. You will learn the names of things you need to remember when traveling and, most importantly, you will find out what it’s like to read and listen to German in real contexts, and about developing strategies and studying useful phrases, which will help you to cope in a range of situations. You will also find out how to order and pay for things in cafes and restaurants.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the singular forms of personal pronouns, singular forms of the regular verb kommen and generalizations using man
- Use improved vocabulary and pronunciation related to place names, numbers 0–10, countries, finding out what is available when ordering and paying for things, ordering and paying for food
- Understand the cultures of places and people in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, German-speaking minorities
- Address people, imitate German pronunciation and read for gist
- Learned how to work out meanings from the contexts.
About the instructor
Open University UK