April 8, 2022
This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
Providing an overview of current issues in UK science education, Changes in Science Education is a course that examines what type of science the curriculum should cover and for what purpose
It will introduce you to the practical problems of delivering an effective science curriculum, touching upon particular questions at all three educational tiers - primary, secondary, and tertiary.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of problems associated with defining the Nature of Science
- Write in an informed way about the purposes of compulsory science education
- Be aware of the educational complications and implications associated with the phrase ‘the public understanding of science’
- Show an ability to comment critically on curriculum proposals that aim to promote science citizenship/scientific literacy
- Provide examples of how specific scientific understanding might be used by lay individuals in a practical context.
About the instructor
Open University UK