This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
This course, Communication, management, and your own context, looks at the role of language in management communication and helps you identify areas of English language you may need to develop for work or when studying for a management qualification such as an MBA. It includes reading, writing, listening and speaking activities based on material related to the field of management and encourages you to relate these to your own work context.
IntroductionIn management, the ability to communicate clearly and confidently in both speaking and writing is important for successful, productive work. In this course, we look at management and MBA education from the perspective of language and communication. We will look at the role of the MBA in developing managers and at the role of language in management communication. The course includes reading, writing, listening and speaking activities. It will help you identify the areas of English language and business communication that you need to work on before starting on a management qualification such as an MBA. This course makes use of a voice recording tool. Please note that this will only currently work in the Internet Explorer (IE) browser. We hope to fix this problem soon. In management, the ability to communicate clearly and confidently is of key importance.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Identify language needs as a manager and as a management student
- Understand how managers describe their business context
- Describe the managerial context in written and spoken form
- Use some key management vocabulary
- Learn about writing collaboratively.
- Communicating in English in the management context 00:50:00
- Language as a management tool: the structure of texts 01:30:00
- The production of workplace texts 00:50:00
- The role of the MBA in developing managers 00:20:00
- Collaborative writing in business and management 01:00:00
- Reflection on the activities in the course 00:15:00
About the instructor