This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
This course examines cultural performances of Asia, including both traditional and contemporary forms, in a variety of genres.
Students will explore the communicative power of performances with attention to the ways performers, media, cultural settings, and audiences interact. The representation of cultural difference is considered and how it is altered through processes of globalization. Performances are viewed live when possible, but the course also relies on video, audio, and online materials as necessary. There are no prerequisites for this course and it is taught in English.
- Introduction to the Course Unlimited
- Anime and Japanese Culture Unlimited
- Pokemon and Cross-Cultural Influence Unlimited
- Hip-Hop, Japan and Race as Performed Unlimited
- Asian Identities and Politics through Comics Unlimited
- Cultural Performances and Authenticity Unlimited
- Student Presentations Unlimited
- Final Class Unlimited
About the instructor