D-Lab: Design addresses problems faced by undeserved communities with a focus on design, experimentation, and prototyping processes.
Particular attention is placed on constraints faced when designing for developing countries. Multidisciplinary teams work on semester-long projects in collaboration with community partners, field practitioners, and experts in relevant fields. Topics covered include design for affordability, design for manufacture, sustainability, and strategies for working effectively with community partners and customers. Students may continue projects begun in EC.701J D-Lab I: Development.
- Introduction: design for development Unlimited
- Design, innovation, invention, and the design process Unlimited
- Case study discussion Unlimited
- Cast Corn Sheller Unlimited
- Sheet Metal Corn Sheller Unlimited
- Charcoal Press (with Teaching Notes) Unlimited
- Design for Manufacture Unlimited
- usability, affordability, sustainability Unlimited
- Penultimania Unlimited
About the instructor