April 8, 2022
This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
This course, Empowering communities, discusses the most common forms of community empowerment, and explores the barriers to community empowerment and ways that these can be overcome.
It will conclude by looking at crime and criminality: a particular challenge that can arise if communities are not sufficiently empowered and supported.
This course was produced by The Open University in association with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Understand the various ways in which communities can be empowered
- Appreciate the key elements of community empowerment
- Understand the barriers and incentives to community empowerment
- Reflect on the various forms of stakeholder engagement
- Consider ways in which empowered communities can deal more effectively with crime and criminality.
- Introduction 00:10:00
- Empowering communities to help themselves 00:10:00
- Key elements of community empowerment 00:15:00
- Third Sector involvement 00:15:00
- Examples of the Third Sector in practice 00:07:00
- Barriers and incentives to community empowerment 00:15:00
- Active citizenship and stakeholder engagement 00:20:00
- Volunteering 00:10:00
- Empowering communities to deal more effectively with crime and criminality 00:15:00
- The role of government and communities 00:15:00
- Conclusion 00:05:00
About the instructor
We are an educational and skills marketplace to accommodate the needs of skills enhancement and free equal education across the globe to the millions. We are bringing courses and trainings every single day for our users. We welcome everyone woth all ages, all background to learn. There is so much available to learn and deliver to the people.