April 9, 2022
This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
The rise and fall of ocean tides result from the combined gravitational pull on water by the Moon and, to a lesser extent, the Sun, which exerts a force on water directed towards the two astronomical bodies.
These gravitational effects combine with centrifugal forces that result from the Earth and the Moon orbiting each other. All of which makes tidal change a complex process. Energy resources: tidal energy, is a free course that considers the power of the ocean tides as a potential source of useable energy and whether or not it can ever make any significant contribution to global energy supplies.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the principles that underlie the ability of tidal power to deliver useable energy
- Outline the technologies that are used to harness the power of tidal energy
- Discuss the positive and negative aspects of tidal energy in relation to natural and human aspects of the environment.
- Introduction 00:10:00
- Learning outcomes 00:05:00
- Tidal energy 00:15:00
- Harnessing tidal energy 00:15:00
- Conclusion 00:05:00
About the instructor
Open University UK