This course, Engaging with children and young people, explores how police engage with children and young people and how this can be approached differently.
This course was produced by The Open University in association with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Understand more effective ways of engaging with children and young people
- Understand the impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Understand the difference between ‘at risk’ and ‘risky behaviours’
- Evaluate potential steps that can be taken to better support children and young people.
- Introduction 00:10:00
- What do we mean by ‘children’ and ‘young people’? 00:30:00
- Understanding children and young people 00:05:00
- Talking on their own terms 00:15:00
- What happens when you listen to children? 00:10:00
- Adverse childhood experiences 00:05:00
- What are ‘Adverse Childhood Experiences’? 00:15:00
- The importance of a supportive network 00:10:00
- Limitations of the ACEs model 00:20:00
- ‘At risk’ or ‘a risk’? 00:15:00
- Adolescence as a stage of life 00:15:00
About the instructor