How can families support healthy living and cope with illness? This course, Exploring family health, will provide an understanding of what is meant by socialization. You will recognize how a family can learn and support good and poor health behaviors alongside government interventions, such as the 5 A DAY strategy. Identification of people with Alzheimer's disease is steadily increasing and you will consider key features and research. Caring within a family will be considered through reading about Sheila who cares for her husband and son.
IntroductionOur family relationships can have a strong influence – positive and negative – on our health, and on how we behave in relation to our health. This course explores how family life impacts on the health of individuals, and how the family is often the focus for health promotion initiatives, such as the national '5 A DAY' campaign. Many informal health care interventions are carried out in the family (in contrast to the formal care provided by hospitals and health centers). The course will examine the changing demands on families who care for one another during illness – for example, when a family member is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Finally, the course considers 'young carers': those children who take on the major responsibility of caring for a family member. Alongside studying issues of family health, this course will introduce you to interpreting information given in graphs or charts. Working with statistical information is a key skill and the course will guide you in this through two structured activities. Activity 3 asks you to explore a website for information about family health. Again, a step by step approach is taken to guide you through this process.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Understand how ‘health intervention’ is targeted to change family eating habits
- Understand the rise in obesity and how it can be linked to family lifestyles
- Understand how families care for and cope with illness
- Interpret information in graphical form and explore a website for information to support your understanding.
- Learning health attitudes and behaviour 00:45:00
- The 5 A DAY campaign 00:45:00
- Interpreting a pie chart 00:45:00
- Changing mealtime routines 00:45:00
- Obesity and health 00:45:00
- The body mass index 00:45:00
- Change4Life 00:45:00
- Conclusion 00:30:00
About the instructor