What factors influence our health? A lot of attention is focused on people's behaviour - their decisions to smoke, drink, over-eat and so on - with strong messages about the changes needed to become healthier.
IntroductionPromoting public health in the 21st century is a multidisciplinary endeavor ranging from the surveillance of health and disease in populations, through to the provision of health advice and information. It occurs at all levels, from the actions taken by individuals through to those taken by national and international agencies. It also takes place in many different settings: for example, in homes, workplaces, schools, hospitals, youth centers, nightclubs, and on the street. There is widespread agreement on the significance of health, and improving the health of populations continues to be a major concern at local, national and international levels. National surveys in the UK and more globally have demonstrated that people are willing to spend more money on health services and that they rate good health as centrally important in living a full and satisfying life. There is now a heightened awareness of the need to promote public health.
But people's behavior is influenced by circumstances and events, friends and family, education, job prospects, income, housing, and environment. In this free course, Factors that influence health: An introduction, you will look at how these factors, these wider social determinants, work together to influence our health for good or ill.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the social determinants of health
- Demonstrate an ability to identify, use and critically evaluate different types of health information.
- Exploring the factors that influence health 00:15:00
- Age, sex and hereditary factors 00:05:00
- Genetics, health and the human genome 00:30:00
- Sex, gender and health 00:25:00
- Age and the life-course: healthy ageing 00:20:00
- Individual lifestyle factors 00:30:00
- Living and working conditions 00:30:00
- Investigating health inequalities 01:15:00
About the instructor