April 7, 2022
This course includes:
Badge on Completion
Certificate of completion
Both vitamins and minerals are essential in the diet in small quantities. Learn about the two main vitamin groups and the major mineral elements. This course, Nutrition: vitamins and minerals, looks at the two main groups of vitamins: the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K; and the water-soluble vitamins, the B group and vitamin C. It also examines the major mineral elements, and the importance of fluid balance in the body.
Course learning outcomesAfter studying this course, you should be able to:
- Understand certain minerals are required in the body and that some minerals form essential structural components of tissues
- Understand that sodium, potassium, calcium and chloride ions are important in maintaining the correct composition of cells and of the tissue fluids around them (homeostasis)
- Understand that some minerals are essential components of important molecules such as hormones and enzymes
- Understand that the correct fluid balance is essential for the normal functioning of the body
- Understand that tap water, and not just mineral water contains minerals.
About the instructor
Open University UK