This course concerns the theory and practice of optical methods in engineering and system design, with an emphasis on diffraction, statistical optics, holography, and imaging.
It provides the engineering methodology skills necessary to incorporate optical components in systems serving diverse areas such as precision engineering and metrology, bio-imaging, and computing (sensors, data storage, communication in multi-processor systems). Experimental demonstrations and a design project are included.
- Introduction: Statistical Optics, Inverse Problems Unlimited
- Fourier Optics Overview Unlimited
- The Intensity Interferometer Speckle Unlimited
- Information Theory: Entropy, Mutual Information Unlimited
- Convolutions, Sampling, Fourier Transforms Unlimited
About the instructor