This subject introduces the key concepts and formalism of quantum mechanics and their relevance to topics in current research and to practical applications.
Starting from the foundation of quantum mechanics and its applications in simple discrete systems, it develops the basic principles of interaction of electromagnetic radiation with matter.
Topics covered are composite systems and entanglement, open system dynamics and decoherence, quantum theory of radiation, time-dependent perturbation theory, scattering and cross sections. Examples are drawn from active research topics and applications, such as quantum information processing, coherent control of radiation-matter interactions, neutron interferometry and magnetic resonance.
- Introduction to the course Unlimited
- Mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics Unlimited
- Axioms of quantum mechanics Unlimited
- Two-level systems Unlimited
- Time evolution Unlimited
- Composite systems and entanglement Unlimited
- Mixed states Unlimited
- Open quantum systems Unlimited
- Harmonic oscillator Unlimited
- The electromagnetic field Unlimited
- Perturbation theory Unlimited
- Interaction of radiation with matter Unlimited
About the instructor