This course, The role of the manager, examines the manager role in theory and in practice.
You will begin by considering two classic theories on the role of the manager, written about in The Manager's Good Study Guide, to assess how relevant they are for your current work. You will then be asked to examine the work of managers in a range of other organisations using video excerpts from the BBC World News series Escape from the Boardroom.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate some theoretical knowledge of management
- Consider how this theoretical knowledge can be related to actual workplace issues and situations
- Show an awareness of the skills and abilities required of a role in the workplace
- Reflect on the impact this kind of study could have on the practice of management and the future development of a manager.
- Introduction 00:10:00
- Learning outcomes 00:10:00
- Using theory: Fayol’s five processes of management 00:15:00
- Using theory: Mintzberg’s managerial roles 00:10:00
- ‘I’m managing thank you’ 00:25:00
- Conclusion 00:10:00
About the instructor