This free course, What do genes do?, explores how information contained in DNA is used, explaining the flow of information from DNA to RNA to protein.
Also introduced are the concepts of transcription (as occurs between DNA and RNA) and translation.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Understand how the linear sequence of DNA within a gene is related to the linear sequence of amino acids of a protein
- Understand how the information in DNA is carried via RNA to make a protein
- Understand how RNA is synthesised from DNA by the process of transcription
- Understand where the processes of transcription and translation occur within the cell.
- Introduction 00:05:00
- Learning outcomes 00:10:00
- 1 Using information stored in DNA 00:10:00
- One gene–one protein 00:10:00
- From DNA to RNA: transcription 00:15:00
- Where does transcription occur in the cell? 00:10:00
- Conclusion Unlimited
About the instructor