Thinking about strategy generates many controversial questions.
This course, What is strategy?, focuses on practitioner views of strategy. You will learn about application of its major theoretical advances in professional life. The course provides definitions of the concept of strategy and strategy-related vocabulary and examines Mintzberg's five Ps framework.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Define the concept of strategy and its meaning to practitioners
- Explain the strategy vocabulary including such terms as mission, vision, aims and objectives, and control
- Apply Mintzberg’s 5 Ps framework to analyses of strategy of an organisation.
- Introduction 00:05:00
- Learning outcomes 00:05:00
- Definition of strategy 00:03:00
- Three influential definitions of strategy 00:15:00
- Explaining vocabulary of strategy 00:05:00
- Mission 00:10:00
- Vision 00:15:00
- Aims and objectives 00:10:00
- Five Ps of strategy 00:20:00
- Applying the five Ps to an example organisation 00:20:00
- Interrelating the Ps 00:15:00
- Conclusion 00:07:00
About the instructor